Image Map

Thursday, March 14, 2013

DIY Laundry Detergent for under $20




With four adults living in my house, a lot of laundry gets done. I decided months ago that I was sick of spending $20+ on laundry detergent every month, so I searched the corners of the internet for recipes to make my own. The ingredients cost less than $20, and the last time I made some was back in July. That's eight months of laundry detergent for less than the cost of one months worth!


You will need:


Pure Baking Soda
Super Washing Soda
Oxi Clean
Fels Naptha
Purex Crystals (Optional, but they smell good!)
NOT PICTURED: Borax (I fail okay?)


You also need a container to mix it in, and a food processor. If you don't have a processor don't fear! A simple cheese grader works as well, it just takes forever and frankly,

Or at least I don't. 



Now that you've got everything you need to make your detergent, take your Fels Naptha and cut that sucker up into little pieces if you're using the processor  If you're using the cheese grate, get to grating. 

Roughly this size works best for the processor.


Toss it in the processor and keep hitting random buttons until your soap is cut up to about this size:




Then take the rest of your ingredients (Borax, Washing Soda, Baking Soda, Crystals, Oxi Clean) and pour them all in your mixing container along with the soap.



With the Borax you may see some clumps, but that's okay! Just make sure to break down the HUGE ones. Then you mix that puppy up until it looks like this:



And there you have it! Use three teaspoons per load and you're good to go! It gets your clothes clean, smells good, and best of all IT'S CHEAP! Enjoy all of the money you just saved and go buy yourself a new pair of pants or something. 


post signature

5 comments:

  1. I am assuming that this can be used with a variety of fabrics, on colors, and darks with no problem? I'm definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! I use it on EVERYTHING. Everything gets clean, colors stay the color they're supposed to be because of the Oxi Clean, and you can choose your scents with the crystals!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I have ventured over from the Weekend Social blog hop. I'm enjoying this little peak into your world! Just lovely! XOXO, Mandi @ All My Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now following you from WSM blog hop.

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Stroke my ego baby!